Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Tips for Dollhouse Miniature Crafting- Clay Test




So you might be wondering why you would want/need to do a clay test. I know not everyone will need to do this but it is a useful thing to know how to do.

With most products that you might want to use with your polymer clay you can probably find compatibility information online. But sometimes what you want to use either hasn't been tried by enough people to know for sure or you come up with conflicting results. So knowing how to test for yourself is a really good idea. Especially if you are going to sell the items you make. You don't want to sell something to someone and have it disintegrate a couple of months later.

Before I give a product a green light for using it I test it for at least 6 months, sometimes longer. It can take a while for some of these reactions to happen so be patient. In the long run you will be glad especially if you find that your clay is starting to get soft or sticky.

To begin roll out some scrap clay and use some TLS to adhere it to index cards. This will give you a place to record the information you will need later. Bake this at 235° to 250° for about 10 minutes.

Be sure to record all the information you might want later, at the minimum the date you did the test and the product you are testing. It is much better to record too much information than not enough.

Now just set the cards to side (where you will remember them) make yourself a note of when to check them and let them do their thing. I like to check about once a month for 6 or so months. If I see no changes at all in that time I feel it is safe to use. If I see even small changes starting I give it more time.


I will do my best to report back on the 2 tests I set up in the video over on the Facebook group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment