Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Dollhouse Miniature Breads


First I am so sorry about the noises my fan caused throughout the video. We are under a heat advisory this weekend and I needed the fan in order to function. Hopefully in the future I can position it so it causes less noise.

So this week I had planned to attempt to make a tomato cane. I had all of the clay I needed except for translucent. So I went to Jo-Ann's yesterday to pick up the clay and some things I needed for a sewing project. I know I had the clay in my basket. I am really sure I put it on the counter with my other purchases. However, it was no where to be found when I got home. At least a quick check of my receipt showed that I wasn't charged for the clay. I am not sure if it got lost between the time I picked it up or if the cashier put it to the side and missed it. Whatever the case I don't have enough translucent clay to make the tomatoes so they will have to wait.



That of course meant I had to find something else to show you today. I did a quick look through my collection of mini resource books and came to an article on bread. I decided that it might be fun to give you all a basic tutorial on bread. This is more about the basic clay mix, how to texture it and how to change the color to make other breads than it is an in-depth tutorial on bread.

For the basic white bread I like to use mix of 2 parts white and 1 part tan/beige clays. This time it was Fimo white and Sculpey III Tan. The mixture is a bit darker than I normally go with but it is still in the ballpark for our project.

Next we need to talk about texturing our bread. I am going “old school” for this. Way back when I first started making clay foods I saw a lot more people using things like cornmeal to texture the clay to give the bread like texture. Now almost everyone uses a pointy tool to dig the crumb texture into the surface. Personally I like to use a combination of the two techniques.

You have several choices of materials to add to the clay and you should be able to find at least one of them in almost any kitchen. I used cornmeal today but you can also use: ground rice, semolina, or ground nutmeg to name a few. Now this does come with the risk of inviting critters into our miniature scenes to snack on our creations. I can say that I have been using these materials for over 20 years and haven't had a problem. I do know a few people that say they have had problems. I tell you this so you can decide for yourself if you want to take a chance on it.

One of the cool things about using the cornmeal is that it does expand just a bit in the clay during the baking off process. This creates a nice texture (more visible if you cut the bread after baking) I am not sure if you can see it in my project today.


What I want from today's project is for you to take this information and get creative. Find some pictures of some cool breads from bakeries and make something really cool for your dolls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment