Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Dollhouse Miniature Headboard




This week's project is not the one I thought I would be posting today. It is not the one I had been working on last week, it isn't even one I had planned to work on. I thought I was going to be finishing up the project I was working on last week. That project unfortunately is now at the bottom of my trash can. I haven't decided if I will be leaving it there, if I will pull it out and try to fix it, if I will attempt to re-do it or if that one is just a total wash. I think all of us have those projects from time to time.

So after I threw what I had been working on for over a week in the trash I had to come up with something else. I thumbed through one of my many mini-related books for some inspiration and saw several really nice beds. I do love to dress beds, they are a lot of fun to do, and I have done at least a couple of videos on them in the past. Then I got to thinking as much fun as beds are to dress, the beds themselves, especially the headboards are even more fun.

I sat down with a very loose idea of what I was going to do. I knew a few things I wanted to make this headboard with items that are inexpensive and easy to get. I didn't go out of my house to get anything to make this. So look around your craft room (and through the recycling bin) and see what you can come up with.

The headboard we are making today would fit a twin/single size bed. If you want to make a larger size just make it wider. You might have to use something other than the craft sticks in that case.

Start by cutting two layers of paperboard (cereal box) to about the size you want your headboard to be. Then glue the two layers together with the plain side out.



Now just build your design on this base. I used the craft sticks because I have a bunch of them. You can use what you have. I decided to use the wall patch fabric because I love the texture of it. I use in a lot in my card-making and in art journaling for the same reason. As a bonus it takes paint really well.






I used the skinny sticks to frame the texture piece both to help anchor it down and to add another decorative element.

The only thing needed at this point was to finish off the side and top edges for a more finished look.

At this point you could go in many directions as far as painting. I wanted a rustic, shabby chic type of look but you could go more polished at this point too.

If you don't have the materials I used look at what you have and make something with those things. That is the fun of projects like this.

Next week we will add a bed to the headboard. And I will show you a simple way to dress the bed.



2 comments:

  1. I love to see what you are doing with the headboard. Great job and very creative. Thank you for sharing. I was also impressed with what you were cutting the craft sticks with. I've not seen it before. Could you please tell me what they are and possibly where to purchase them? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cutting tool I am using is called an Easy Cutter, mine is an older model. If you Google "Ultimate Easy Cutter" you will find the newer version of the same tool. I love mine and use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete